The Federal Ministry of Works in conjunction with the construction giant, Julius Berger have failed to deliver on the completion date and commissioning of the much awaited Second Niger Bridge. It can be recalled that about 5 months ago, the minister of Labour, Dr Chris Ngige, Works Minister Babatunde Fashola and Ibrahim Gambari, the Chief of Staff to General Buhari paid an official inspection visit to the bridge where it was disclosed that the bridge would be ready by April 2022.
During the inspection visit, the honourable minister for Works, Babatunde Fashola disclosed that everything had already been put in place for the April 22 realization and actualization of the bridge project. Four months after the promise, Nigerians who have been expecting the news were shocked to realize that the Federal Government failed on its promise to deliver on the bridge. All efforts made by Umuaka Times to establish why the government failed on the bridge promise were abortive as at press time last week.
Vital information Umuaka Times obtained from the Guardian Newspaper of 09 March 2022, under the title, “FG has spent N400b on Second Niger Bridge, says Gambari”, the top government official told reporters in Asaba that the commissioning date for the bridge project has been shifted to October. Gambari further disclosed that the project has cost the Federal Government of Nigeria N400 billion naira which is about $800,000 million. This amount Gambari further disclosed does not include N10 billion spent by the previous government on the bridge.
For now, Nigerians, especially transporters and travelers will wait for the October date which is in the next two months for them to make use of the Second Niger Bridge.