The candidate of Youth Progressive Party YPP vying for Imo State House of Assembly under Njaba LGA, Hon Obi Kingsley Odoemenam has condemned in strongest terms, the killings that took place in Awo community, Oru West LGA of Imo State last week. Hon Odoemenam who spoke with Umuaka Times last week deeply expressed his shock and disbelieve over the killings. According to him, the killings can only be blamed on incompetent leadership that has gained grounds in Imo State for some time now.
The Honourable used the opportunity and appealed to Imo youths to remain calm and never to take the laws into their hands as a result of the killings. He also appealed to Imo voters to vote out APC in the next elections and replace them with competent hands. He described himself as a competent hand and appealed to the people of his LGA, Njaba, to cast their votes for him to represent them during the next House of Assembly election in the state. He described himself as an industrialist who has gained big experiences on how leaders can positively impact on the people they govern and lead. “If I am elected, I will show my people love and give them the dividends of democracy.”
Meanwhile since the killings of the youths in Imo State last week, there have been several reports coming from many official quarters. First, some media houses reported that the number of persons killed was 7 while others said 19 and 21 respectively.
According to Guardian newspaper of 20 July 2022, the Imo governor Senator Hope Uzodimma, said that 14 of the people killed by the state security outfit, Ebubeagu were bandits.
The Sahara Reporters newspaper of July 20 2022, had a different thing to say about the killings. The newspaper wrote:
“The Department of State Services in Imo State on Tuesday said an exchange of fierce gunfire between a joint security team and the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and its armed affiliate, Eastern Security Network (ESN), on Sunday resulted in the death of seven youths in the state. This is coming amidst the outrage generated by the killings and the call for the disbandment of the South-East Ebube-Agu security outfit in Imo who massacred the 14 unarmed wedding guests in Otulu community in Oru East Council Area of the state on Sunday evening”.
Since this incident took place, there have been protests in the state and global human rights body Amnesty International has condemned the killings and called for a thorough investigation into the multiple murder incident.